The purpose of this bag can be for many reasons, to a flat tire, to an ice storm, to an earthquake. You could even give these items to others in a given situation, you could be the help they're asking for.
I recently found a list I had compiled based on research I had done last year, so, I’m going to share 10 of the most important items on that list, and then leave a link for the Prepare page we have on the Battle Ready website which has the same list and much more for you to browse through if you wish.
1) Water Purifier: This is definitely one of the most important items you could have in your bag. It’s quick, easy, and very portable.
2) Fixed Blade Knife: Not just for self-defense as many would think, a knife like this is a great tool to create shelter, start fires, or create other tools.
3) Fire Starters: There’s a saying out there, when it comes to preparation, that Two is One and One is None. Basically, it gets the point across that having two ways to do something is always the smartest option. This saying can go for all items in a Bug out Bag, but it’s much easier to get two of something for the smaller items. Like Fire Starters. You can go for two or three of the simplest things. 1 is matches. 2 is a lighter. 3 is flint and steel.
4) Gloves: Now I’m not just talking about gloves in the sense that they’ll keep your hands warm. I’m talking more hand protection. If you injure your hand, say deep scratches, or a large cut, you’ve pretty much lost one hand to work with, plus there is always a chance of infection. Which leads us to our next item.
5) Medical Kit: Very important item, one of the top items you need in your Bug out Bag. In a medical kit, you will need anything from antibiotics, band-aids, Advil, gauze, any medications you personally need. In your medical kit, you can change it up so that it is geared specifically for you and your family to best fit your needs.
6) Food: For food, it’s obviously hard to carry a lot. So you’ll have to go for small things which pack easily and are good for energy. That could mean beef jerky, protein bars, to MRS if you have them.
7) Water: This one is also hard to carry large quantities of since it’s so cumbersome. But at the very least you can carry one, or more, bottles of water in your bag. There are also various thin, specially made bags, called water bladders, which you can carry in your Bug out Bag, then fill with any safe water you have found.
8) Baby Wipes: You’re probably thinking, “What?” hear me out. Baby wipes are a good substitute for things like toilet paper, since baby wipes are packaged, which keeps them safe from water, and much more portable. Baby wipes are also good for sanitizing things, or, to conserve precious water supplies, they can be used to wipe yourself down in place of showers.
9) Flashlight: This is a very important item, especially if you are in a situation where there is no power, say from a storm. A flashlight can be used to signal for help, as a quick and adaptable light in a crisis situation, or even for self-defense if used to blind your aggressor.
10) Tape-Rope: These two items I placed in the same category because their uses are similar but different enough where you would need both. Tape is not reusable, while rope is. There is a wide variety of uses for both of these items, and they are, overall, very good items to have on hand in a crisis situation.
Alright, there is my list of 10 items that are good to have in a Bug out Bag. Check out the link to the Prepare page on our Battle Ready website, it has this list and much more for you to go through.
PREPARE LINK HERE
God bless! Zac.